Monday, September 9, 2013

Rest, Patience and Sunglasses

Rest, Patience and Sunglasses

Rest and Training Frequency
     So, after Friday, I took the weekend "off" to rest. While I didn't originally plan on taking two rest days in a row like that, that's how it worked out. I worked two 10-hour shifts where I had to do two people's jobs on two of our busiest days, so I was constantly (and almost literally) running around and always on my feet. So I was exhausted and felt run down so ... I took some time off.
     I think a lot of people fall in to one of two categories when it comes to rest days. I'll call one The Zealot and the other I'll call The Cat. There are merits to both approaches, which I'll mention.
     The Zealot is, well, very zealous when it comes to working out and training, and believes the fewer the rest days, the better. To them, it is better to go in the gym to do SOMETHING then to take a day where you don't set foot in the gym. They are much like your very dedicated Crossfitters, who are in "The Box" even on rest days, training on something. They could take the day off from performing a metcon and work on a skill (e.g. handstand push-ups, muscle ups, or ring dips) or strength (1-3 rep training for maximum weight). Perhaps, if they have a very good coach or are themselves very knowledgable, they make take a rest day and make it a dynamic day (a la Westside). For them, a day not training is a day wasted. Not to think this only applies to Crossfitters, bodybuilders, or strength-enthusiasts, there are many runners like this - those that chalk up "junk miles" and "time on their feet," simply to be outside (or inside) running, even if they're running significantly slower then a training or race pace. I was one of these runners, "back in the day." I'd run everyday, even if a run was just a slow, casual run. Jamie Lewis of chaosandpain.blogspot.com is a big advocate of high frequency training, and has said he has, at times, trained I believe over 14 times in a week. A quote from his book Issuance of Insanity (2): "... high frequency is critical for steady progress" (p. 6).
     The Cat is, as the name might imply, a "lazy" person when it comes to the gym. Whereas the Zealot firmly believes that gainz come in the gym, the Cat believes that you must rest to grow. Or perform better, or whatever it is they are training for. I think perhaps one of the most well-known (on the internet at least) strength coaches that is a huge proponent of this approach is Mark Rippetoe, of Starting Strength fame (or infamy, depending on whether you like him or not). Rippetoe and his more devoted adherents can be just as zealous of protecting their rest days as the Zealot. I'm sure there are many others that recommend this approach. (Paul Carter of lift-run-bang.com also recommends a similar approach, although he's not afraid of over-training as Rippetoe is; he merely and firmly believes in the less-is-more philosophy, sometimes called the 80/20 rule or Pareto Principle. If he ever reads this, he might not take too kindly to me classifying him with Rippetoe.)
     Anyways, all that to say... There are definitely pros and cons to more and less rest. Personally, I like training more then three times a week. I also don't enjoy training over six times a week. Perhaps I'll contract AIDS and die because of my mediocrity and my middle-of-the-fence approach, but ... I think not. I think you (in general, and you personally) can make ANYTHING work, and I think you can always find an example of where something worked and another example of where it didn't. Some people love heavy singles and low reps for building strength (e.g. Olympic weightlifters, Brooks Kubik, Jamie Lewis), and some people think "lighter" weight (light being relative and variable) and higher reps are best at building strength (e.g. Ed Coan, Sam Byrd, Paul Carter). They all have been very successful with their own methods of training, so perhaps it really comes down not to what is the BEST or IDEAL training method, but is optimal for you. And to discover that ... You'll just have to go train and see how it goes.

Patience
     Today's (9.9.13) workout was frustrating, but only mildly so. I had thought I was programming light when I decided to do 95lbs on the (overhead) press 5x8, but I found out very quickly I no longer have that strength or endurance. A year and a half ago, after running Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big, I could press 115lbs 5x10 fairly easily. To me, that isn't strong. But, after barely training at all since August 2012, I am far from being able to do that. This once again reinforces that I have to take it slow and that I must be patient. Progress comes in time, but struggling with 95lbs for a couple sets of 5 when the training effect I want requires sets of 8 to 12 isn't going to help.
     Training effect. That is an interesting term I will have to talk about another day. In short: each program, plan, or workout should be designed to have a specific effect. If a program calls for you to perform sets of  8 to 12, the desired effect is considerably different than sets of 3. If you need to perform 8 to 12 repetitions of an activity, but can only perform 3 o 5, then you are out of the "zone" of training that was originally planned (there are a lot of fancy terms for these zones, but that's another day). I wasn't going to able to achieve the desired training effect with 95lbs. And as frustrating as lowering the weight is for me, in the long run it will be much better for me to follow my plan and not let ego dictate my lifts or my program.

Sunglasses
     I train outside in my backyard, on our porch. Its a nice setup - no frills, not that fancy. I have a barbell, ~500lbs of plates (mix of iron and 160lbs bumpers), and squat stands. I realized today, in the 90F heat, one of the best things about working out outside: wearing sunglasses. *shrug* I find pleasure in the little things in life. I think we all should.

Here's my workouts from Friday and today (Monday).

Friday and Monday:

9.6.13 - worked out at The Rush. I quickly realized that I a) love my home gym, b) hate their gym bars, and c) am much more focused training at home. No gyms for me, unless absolutely necessary.
  • Front Barbell Squat:
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)
  • Hang Power Clean:
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
  • Jerk:
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
    • 45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)
  • Clean and Jerk:
    • 65 lb x 5 reps (+67 pts)
    • 85 lb x 5 reps (+76 pts)
    • 105 lb x 5 reps (+87 pts)
    • 135 lb x 2 reps (+72 pts)
    • 135 lb x 2 reps (+72 pts)
    • 135 lb x 2 reps (+72 pts)
    • 135 lb x 2 reps (+72 pts)
    • 135 lb x 2 reps (+72 pts)
    • Bloodied my shin and the stupid gym bar. That thing is so sharp you could shave with it!
  • Other Weightlifting:
    • 2.5 lb x 100 reps (+19 pts)
    • Doing some personal training instruction for a lovely young lady who is ridiculously weak and tight (no offense meant). Mostly we worked on body awareness and some stretching-type activities (good mornings, split squats. presses, snatch grip presses, kettlebell squats, and wall balls). Tried to keep it fun.
  • 9.9.13 - back in the backyard. Yay! 
    • Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
      • 45 lb x 15 reps (+61 pts)
      • 65 lb x 10 reps (+66 pts)
      • 95 lb x 6 reps (+73 pts)
      • 95 lb x 6 reps (+73 pts)
      • 95 lb x 3 reps (+55 pts)
      • 65 lb x 8 reps (+64 pts)
      • 65 lb x 8 reps (+64 pts)
      • 60s rest between sets. Was supposed to do 95lbs 5x8, but 8 just was not going to happen... Last two sets switched to 65lbs... Even that was hard to get 8! I is weak sauce... :( And! Holy sugar honey iced tea batman - the pump was insane!
    • Bent Over Barbell Row:
      • 45 lb x 15 reps (+25 pts)
      • 65 lb x 12 reps (+28 pts)
      • 65 lb x 12 reps (+28 pts)
      • 65 lb x 12 reps (+28 pts)
      • 65 lb x 12 reps (+28 pts)
      • 65 lb x 12 reps (+28 pts)
      • After my disastrous weight selection with the press, I went light and safe with the row... Felt like kiddy rows. Upping weight next time! Although my biceps got and maintained a little pump on these still...
    • Barbell Floor Press:
      • 45 lb x 15 reps (+33 pts)
      • 65 lb x 10 reps (+36 pts)
      • 95 lb x 10 reps (+44 pts)
      • 95 lb x 10 reps (+44 pts)
      • 95 lb x 10 reps (+44 pts)
      • 95 lb x 10 reps (+44 pts)
      • 95 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)
      • 60s strict rest between sets. Last set I failed on 6th rep. Felt hard but good. Staying here until I get 5x10 w/ 95lbs.
    • Full Zercher:
      • 95 lb x 1 reps (+31 pts)
      • 145 lb x 1 reps (+43 pts)
      • 145 lb x 1 reps (+43 pts)
      • 60s rest. Deadlift to squat to zercher position. Held for time 95lbs x60s. 145lbs x45s. 145lbs x60s. These are exhausting.
    • Reverse Barbell Curl:
      • 45 lb x 25 reps (+18 pts)
      • 45 lb x 25 reps (+18 pts)
      • Pronated curls with barbell hurt my wrist, so I do (thumbless) reverse curls. Mostly for bicep/brachioradialis health - I have tendonitis issues in my right elbow as soon as I start doing any pressing, and the curls help. 60s rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment